Sotheby’s Modern Collectibles is currently auctioning off rare pairs of sneakers designed by the legendary Virgil Alboh with some of the items already exceeding the pre-sale estimates.
Alboh passed away on November 28, 2021 at the age of 41, after a two-year battle with a rare form of cancer. Prior to his death he was Louis Vuitton Men’s Artistic Director.
- A pair of Virgil Abloh signed and designed Louis Vuitton ‘LV Trainer’s’ which includes two polaroids of Virgil posing with the pair and a letter from James Spence Authenticated in regards to the signature. As of this writing the current bid is sitting at $18,000 USD.
- A pair of Virgil Abloh signed and designed Nike Air Jordan 1 x OFF-WHITE Retro High OG ‘UNC’ sneakers featuring the iconic University of North Carolina Tar Heels blue and white. The bid on this is standing at $13,000.
- “The Ten” Complete Collection from Nike and designed by Abloh in 2017. This lot is described by Sotheby’s as: “This collection consists of ten iconic silhouettes from the Nike, Jordan, and Converse archives, that were deconstructed and rebuilt in Virgil’s creative vision. Released in 2017, “The Ten” was one of the fastest and most ambitious collaborations Nike has ever produced, taking about ten months from ideation to release.” Current bid is $22,000 USD.
- The last item is not sneakers, but a Louis Vuitton and Virgil Abloh | Multicolor Watercolor Monogram Wood, Aluminum, and Polymer Skateboard, 2021. The reserve bid has been met on this item and it is currently at $3,000.
The auction ends on April 5, 2022 and we will be checking back to see what the final results were.
UPDATE (April 7, 2022):
- Louis Vuitton ‘LV Trainer’s’: Final Price – $23,940 USD
- Nike Air Jordan 1 x OFF-WHITE Retro High OG ‘UNC’ sneakers: Final Price – $21,420 USD
- “The Ten” Complete Collection from Nike: Final Price – $35,280 USD
- Louis Vuitton and Virgil Abloh Polymer Skateboard: Final Price – $3,780 USD
Image from Sotheby’s.
Current Collectible Sneakers:
- Feed has no items.