Last Updated on 10/10/2017 by bidz
This one just crossed the radar in the past few weeks, and with the recent sale of the The Book of Mormon printer’s manuscript and a record for the highest paid amount for a manuscript, it is worth a notice. As one news story mentioned, it is the ship that floats the rest.
At a record $35 million US, it has surpassed previsions manuscripts like the Magna Carta and this seems to be indicative of a trend worth pursuing. It was bought by the LDS Church itself.
The details were reported on Herald Exta
“$35 million transcript purchased by LDS Church gives Mormon collectibles a financial boost
Start searching great-grandma’s cedar chest, you may be holding hidden treasures worth a fortune.
Until Wednesday, Bill Gates’ $30.8 million purchase of Leonardo da Vinci’s Codex Leicester was the most money ever spent on the purchase of a document, according to Swan’s Auction Galleries. The Book of Mormon printer’s manuscript set a new standard, being sold for $35 million Wednesday.”
So what are the top Mormon manuscript collectibles?
According to an article by Reid N. Moon on ldsmag.com these are The Ten Most Expensive Mormon Books (not including the recent sale):
- Book of Commandments . $1,250,000
- The Evening and Morning Star [1832-33] $500,000
- A Collection of Sacred Hymns, for the Church of the Latter Day Saints Selected by Emma Smith . $450,000
- Messenger and Advocate [1834-37]. $200,000
- Doctrine and Covenants . First edition. $175,000
- A Collection of Sacred Hymns For the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Selected by Emma Smith. [Nauvoo – 1841] $150,000
- Ka Buke a Moramona – Hawaiian – Book of Mormon . First edition. $145,000
- Mormon – German – Book of Mormon . First Edition. $110,000
- Book of MormonFirst Edition. $100,000
- A Collection of Sacred Hymns, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in Europe Selected by Brigham Young, Parley P. Pratt, and John Taylor. [Manchester, England – 1840]. $90,000
Live eBay listings from the Books > Antiquarian & Collectible category: